Spring Cleaning Your Finances
Spring is here! Let’s clear away the cobwebs and spruce up those finances with these three easy steps.
1. Start decluttering
- Tally your non-mortgage debts - note the interest rate, the total amount due and the financial institution who holds the debt.
- Consult your budget - free up funds to put toward paying down debt, especially high interest debt like credit cards.
- Credit card debt? Consider a balance transfer to a lower rate card. Look for a card with no balance transfer fees like CCF’s Visa Platinum card. Balance transfer fees can add up to 5% to your balance.
2. Check your credit score
- Request a free copy of your credit report – you can request this once each year at AnnualCreditReport.com
- Check the report for incorrect reporting - look for different names or addresses being reported, etc. File a report with the credit agency to report and correct any misinformation. Even little report mistakes can have a huge impact on your credit.
- See your monthly score in CCF's mobile banking app - CCF offers updated credit scoring within our mobile app so you can stay on top of your score.
3. Shred sensitive documents
- Don’t just toss sensitive papers – shred them to protect your identity. This includes bank statements, expired credit and ID cards, CDs, and anything with a DOB or personally identifying information.